- You are here:
- Community Advocate
As a Gitlab Community Advocate, you will be a member of the Community Advocacy team within Developer Relations with a goal of responding to every question about GitLab asked online. You will help to create process and documentation around the way this team interacts with the community as well as help make it easier to provide feedback into GitLab.
- Respond to the GitLab community across the following channels in a timely manner: Twitter, Disqus, Facebook, StackOverflow, Reddit, Quora, Google alerts, HackerNews, comments on news stories in the media, forum.gitlab.com, and more.
- Engage with the developer community in a way that is direct but friendly and authentic. Be able to carry the tone of the GitLab brand while also giving the proper answers or direction to members of the community.
- Help update the social media guidelines and GitLab voice as new situations arise.
- Work with leadership to find a way to track and measure response time across all channels with the ideal response time being under 1 hour for all channels.
- Explore different tools from Zendesk to Mentions to find a way to track all mentions of GitLab across the internet.
- Don’t be afraid of animated gifs and well-placed humor! We are not robots.
- Work within the GitLab process to help users report bugs, make feature requests, contact support, and provide feedback to the product.
Requirements for Applicants
- Have an understanding of Git, GitLab, and modern development practices.
- A broad knowledge of the application development ecosystem.
- Be a good conversation partner for experienced developers.
- Know multiple programming languages, Ruby on Rails experience is a plus
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Accurate, nuanced, direct, and kind messaging.
- Being able to work independent and respond quickly.
- Able to articulate the GitLab mission, values, and vision.
- Understand the difference between different online developer communities
- You LOVE working with the GitLab community.
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS), Lever.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto.
Unfortunately GitLab is not hiring at your selected country at this time. Please read our hiring handbook
for more details.