- You are here:
- Backend Director
As the Backend Director, you report to the VP of Engineering. You will lead all backend groups within engineering.
- Identify hiring needs and lead recruitment of backend engineers
- Work with product team, VP of Engineering, and leads to prioritize backend work
- Coordinate with all backend leads to deliver releases on schedule
- Direct resources to priority features and bug fixes when needed
- Deliver features that increase revenue and reduce costs of GitLab.com
- Work with support team to triage critical issues
- Monitor production-level issues and help resolve them
- Identify and propose solutions to improve pace of development
- Identify and fill knowledge gaps with new technologies relevant to company's future
- Train team members on proper coding and review techniques
- Provide coaching and feedback to direct reports
- Review merge requests made by developers
- Define best practices and coding standards for backend team
- Deliver input on engineering organizational changes in consultation with the CEO, CTO, and VP of Engineering
- Coordinates with frontend and UX leads to form teams for major features/moonshots
- Experience leading a team of software developers
- Experience developing large-scale applications with high-availability and performance requirements
- Able to manage multiple, concurrent projects
- Ability to reason about software, algorithms, and performance from a high level
- Passion for open source
- Experience working on a production-level Ruby application, preferably using Rails.
- Strong written communication skills
- Self-motivated and have strong organizational skills
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- A technical interview is part of the hiring process for this position.