- You are here:
- Director of Infrastructure
The Director of Infrastructure reports to the VP of Engineering.
- Manage the leads of production engineering, security, database, and Gitaly.
- Direct all operations and activities relating to the reliability and performance of the GitLab.com.
- Design, plan, and implement the goals to make GitLab.com fast, available, and resilient - today and well into the future.
- Coordinate infrastructure and application-level security hardening with the security team.
- Enable all engineers and the public at large to understand performance and availability incidents.
- Facilitate cross-team collaboration and escalation.
- Ensures infrastructure issues are well-documented.
- Make sure the handbook is used and maintained.
- Do capacity planning, both for technical aspects (when do we need to make changes) and to make a budget projection.
- Interview applicants for infrastructure-related positions.
- Grow skills in team leads and individual contributors, for example by creating training and testing materials.
- Identify positions we need to hire for, open up vacancies, and interview applicants.
- Deliver input on promotions, function changes, demotions and firings in consultation with the VP of Engineering
- Push for individual accountability instead of project managers/coordinators.
- Promote GitLab as a great product and place to work by engaging on social media and writing blog posts.
- Use GitLab to test, deploy, and manage GitLab.com as much as possible.
- Suggest features to our improve GitLab itself for everyone.
- Ensure that improvements also benefit self hosting customers.
- Ensure that performance monitoring is in place and actionable.
- Increase the cost effectiveness of GitLab.com by optimizing workloads and platforms.
- Make sure that the people reporting to you and your leads give a high eNPS.
- Experience managing multiple teams of engineers.
- Proven track record of delivering high-value, high-impact projects.
- Strong fundamentals of networks, performance, databases, and scalability.
- Familiar with open source work-flows.
- Familiar with distributed teams.
The hiring process for this role consists of at least
- screening call
- interview with VP of Engineering
- interview with Production Lead
- interview with CEO
As always, the interviews and screening call will be conducted via a video call. See more details about our hiring process on the hiring handbook.