- You are here:
- Director of Infrastructure
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
The Director of Infrastructure reports to the VP of Engineering.
- Manage the leads of production engineering, security, database, and Gitaly.
- Direct all operations and activities relating to the reliability and performance of the GitLab.com.
- Design, plan, and implement the goals to make GitLab.com fast, available, and resilient - today and well into the future.
- Coordinate infrastructure and application-level security hardening with the security team.
- Enable all engineers and the public at large to understand performance and availability incidents.
- Facilitate cross-team collaboration and escalation.
- Ensures infrastructure issues are well-documented.
- Make sure the handbook is used and maintained.
- Do capacity planning, both for technical aspects (when do we need to make changes) and to make a budget projection.
- Interview applicants for infrastructure-related positions.
- Grow skills in team leads and individual contributors, for example by creating training and testing materials.
- Identify positions we need to hire for, open up vacancies, and interview applicants.
- Deliver input on promotions, function changes, demotions and firings in consultation with the VP of Engineering
- Push for individual accountability instead of project managers/coordinators.
- Promote GitLab as a great product and place to work by engaging on social media and writing blog posts.
- Use GitLab to test, deploy, and manage GitLab.com as much as possible.
- Suggest features to our improve GitLab itself for everyone.
- Ensure that improvements also benefit self hosting customers.
- Ensure that performance monitoring is in place and actionable.
- Increase the cost effectiveness of GitLab.com by optimizing workloads and platforms.
- Make sure that the people reporting to you and your leads give a high eNPS.
- Experiencing managing multiple teams of engineers.
- Proven track record of delivering high-value, high-impact projects.
- Strong fundamentals of networks, performance, databases, and scalability.
- Familiar with open source work-flows.
- Familiar with distributed teams.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more detail in our hiring handbook.
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto. Apply