- You are here:
- Frontend Lead
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
- Leads the implementation of significant frontend features
- Works with other teams to identify priorities for releases
- Assigns frontend engineers direction issues
- Identifies hiring needs for frontend group
- Interviews applicants for Frontend engineers positions
- Continues to spend part of their time coding
- Ensures that the technical decisions and process set by the CTO are followed
- Does 1:1's with all reports every 2-5 weeks (depending on the experience of the report)
- Is available for 1:1's on demand of the report
- Uses the contributor analytics to ensure that Frontend engineers that are stuck are helped
- Ensures quality implementation of design materials
- Prioritize frontend issues which lead to bad user experience
- Review of the merge requests made by Frontend engineers
- Delivers input on promotions, function changes, demotions and firings in consultation with the CEO, CTO, and VP of Engineering
- Defines best practices and coding standards for frontend group
Requirements for Applicants
- At least 1 year of experience leading, mentoring, and training teams of frontend engineers
- Self-motivated and strong organizational skills
- Strong understanding of CSS
- Passionate about testing and design principles
- Basic knowledge of Vue.js is a plus but not a requirement
- Collaborate effectively with UX Designers, Developers, and Designers
- Be able to work with the rest of the community
- Knowledge of Ruby on Rails is a plus
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
NOTE In the compensation calculator below, fill in "Lead" in the
Level field for this role.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more detail in our hiring handbook.
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto. Apply