- You are here:
- Growth Product Manager / Engineer
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Get more people to use and contribute to GitLab, mainly the Community Edition (CE). Marketing gets us awareness and downloads. Your goal is to ensure people downloading our product keep using it, invite others, and contribute back. You report to the VP of Product.
We're looking for someone that is technically strong and able to contribute themselves (i.e. knows Rails).
- Conversion of download to 30 day active (install success * retention)
- Growth of existing CE installations (growth of comments measured with usage ping)
- Growth in the number of new people that contributed merged code
- Auto install let's encrypt
- Check open to new users by default
- Check invite by email function
- Usage ping for CE
- Ensure installers are very simple
- First 60 seconds with a product
- Measure contributors like a SaaS funnel (activation, retention)
- Improve data for Usage ping EE
- Improve zero-states of project (hints on first action)
- New feature show-off / highlighting
- Great experience when not logged in (commenting)
- Great experience when not a project member (edit button works)
- Make it easier to configure email
- Make it easier to configure LDAP
You'll work with
- Other PM's
- Developers (implement some things self, some with help of experts)
- Community team
- Issue triage specialists
- Merge request coaches
- Deep understanding of UX and UI
- You've built web applications before in Ruby on Rails (be it personal or professional)
- You're pragmatic and willing to code yourself
- You're able to independently find, report and solve issues and opportunities related to growth in the product
- Good understanding of Git
- Able to make wireframes and write clear, concrete product specifications
- Plan and execute on improvements in GitLab related to growth
- Write specs and create wireframes to communicate your plans
- Ship improvements every month and make it possible to report on those improvements
- Do data analysis whenever useful
- Assist the rest of the team with topics related to growth
- Build and expand tools related to growth (version.gitlab.com and others)
Applicants for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that applicants can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Qualified applicants receive a short questionnaire from our Global Recruiters
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30min screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with a VP of Product
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule a second interview with the Head of Product
- Finally, candidates will interview with our CEO
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more detail in our hiring handbook.
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto. Apply