- You are here:
- Service Engineer
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focussed on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
The rising popularity of GitLab means that our professional services are in high demand. If you have the skills to help our clients we would love to talk to you.
We are looking for skilled people around the world. If you would love to work from home and help GitLab grow, this is the right spot for you.
- Engage with our customers—anything from a small advertising firm or a university, to Fortune 100 clients and help them with anything from a simple support ticket to a customer training
- Triage customer issues and find workarounds if possible
- Engage with the development team to escalate bugs, problems, or missing information
- Communicate via email and video conferencing with potential and current clients
- Participate in the rotating "on-call" list to provide 24/7 emergency response availability
- Ensure that everything we learn from running GitLab.com is set as default or communicated to our users
- Maintain documentation relating to troubleshooting and other knowledge gained via customer interactions
- Prepare and provide customer training, and make the training materials widely available
- Submit and comment on feature requests based on customer interactions
More information can be found on the support page in the handbook.
Junior Service Engineer
- Junior Service Engineer's responsibilities cover all the support channels that are supported by a level 3 or 4 SLA, per the definitions on the Support page.
- Contribute with documentation
- Manage Feature Proposals created through their user interactions
- Manage Bug reports created through their user interactions
- Technical Skills
- Able to triage basic GitLab issues
- Able to perform basic UNIX/GitLab system administration
- Able to solve customer tickets in a timely fashion
- Able to communicate clearly with customers on technical topics
- Able to escalate issues to the right people
- Keeps issues up-to-date with progress
- Follows up with outstanding issues
- Documents relatively simple answers in issues and GitLab documentation
- Makes customers happy
- All Junior Service Engineer responsibilities with less time invested on SLA 3 and SLA 4
- Participate in the On-call schedule
- Work on SLA 1 emergency and security tickets
- Work on SLA 2 customer tickets
- Technical Skills
- Able to triage intermediate GitLab issues and resolve them
- Able to perform intermediate UNIX/GitLab system administration
- Can identify relatively challenging bugs/issues with GitLab
- Can submit merge requests for basic GitLab bugs/problems
- Reliably answers on-call emergencies
- Exceeds SLAs consistently
- Documents relatively challenging answers in issues and GitLab documentation
- Helps ensure that tickets are closed in a timely manner
- Contributes with training material/sessions
Senior Service Engineer
- All Service Engineer responsibilities
- Able to cover all channels
- Help train new service engineers
- Improve the support workflow (ZenDesk)
- Contribute to complementary projects (e.g. GitLab University, etc.)
- Maintain good ticket performance
- Write blog articles
- Take ownership of documentation and feature requests that is based on customer interactions
- Improve the support process (on-boarding, training, escalation, etc)
- Technical Skills
- Have deep knowledge of GitLab internals and a variety of possible configurations
- Able to perform complex UNIX/GitLab system administration
- Can debug challenging bugs with GitLab
- Can submit merge requests for advanced GitLab bugs/problems
- Help hire and train new Service Engineers
- Are a go-to person for the other Service Engineers when they face tough challenges
- Take ownership of documentation
- Drives feature requests based on customer interactions
- All Senior Service Engineer responsibilities
- Help hire service engineers as part of the interview process
- Good ticket performance
- Good ticket satisfaction
- Maintains complementary project
- Contributes to GitLab regularly
- Technical Skills
- Can solve most support tickets in a reasonable time without escalating to development
- Specializes in multiple topics (e.g. LDAP, Jenkins/CI integration, Geo)
- Should submit or review MRs with development for customer GitLab bugs/issues
Requirements for Applicants
- Above average knowledge of Unix and Unix based Operating Systems
- Vast experience with Ruby on Rails Applications and git
- Affinity for (and experience with) providing customer support
- Excellent spoken and written English
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- A technical interview is part of the hiring process for this position.
- A customer scenario interview is part of the hiring process for this position.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more detail in our hiring handbook.
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto. Apply