- You are here:
- Database Specialist
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
- Improve database performance and reduce load by optimizing application code.
- Build and maintain high availability solutions for both GitLab.com and the GitLab community.
- Be part of the Pagerduty rotation to respond to GitLab.com availability incidents and provide support for service engineers with customer incidents.
- Use your oncall rotation to prevent pages from ever happening, to understand what the main database performance problems are, and proactively work on removing bottlenecks.
- Improve monitoring and alerting, or build new solutions where necessary.
- Propose new tasks, features, or other changes to improve database performance.
- Back all your ideas, proposals, and changes with data, obtained using either dedicated experiments or production monitoring systems.
- Identify and resolve scalability issues in our current database setup and application usage of the database.
- Clearly document your findings in issues and merge requests.
- Build solutions that work not just for GitLab.com, but also for the entire GitLab community.
- Applying your improvements in such a way that they don't require downtime
- You are passionate about open source.
- Significant experience with running Ruby and PostgreSQL in large production environments.
- Excellent programming skills.
- Solid understanding of SQL.
- Solid understanding of the various parts that make up a database such as the various index types, replication methods, etc.
- Self-motivated and have strong organizational skills.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Being able to work both independently and in a team.
- The ability to automate solutions in such a way that they can be shipped to all users of GitLab.
- Understanding of the CAP theorem.
- Knowledge of the differences between load balancing, sharding, their trade-offs, etc.
Ruby & PostgreSQL Experience
As a database specialist not only will you work on the database, but also the application's usage of the database. As a result a significant amount of experience with both Ruby and PostgreSQL is a strict requirement.
We are currently not accepting any internships for this position.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more detail in our hiring handbook.
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto. Apply