- You are here:
- Support Engineer
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
The rising popularity of GitLab means that more and more customers are using GitLab in new and unique ways. If you know Linux and like supporting applications to help we would love to talk to you. On the other hand, if
"ps aux | grep unicorn" feels like a foreign language, you might be a good fit for our Services Support team.
- Engage with our customers — anything from a small advertising firm or a university, to Fortune 100 clients
- Triage customer issues, debug, and find workarounds if possible
- Communicate via email and video conferencing with potential and current clients
- Improve GitLab through customer interaction
- Submit and comment on bug reports and feature requests based on customer interactions
- Create or update documentation based on customer interactions
- Engage with the development team to escalate bugs, solve problems, or obtain missing information
- Participate in the on-call rotation to provide 24/7 emergency customer response
- Maintain good ticket performance and satisfaction
- Meet or exceed SLA times consistently
- Reliably respond to on-call emergencies
More information can be found on the support page in the handbook.
- Affinity for (and experience with) providing customer support
- Technical Skills
- Able to triage and resolve GitLab issues
- Able to perform complex Linux system administration tasks
- Experience with MVC applications and Git
- Communication Skills
- Communicate clearly with customers on technical topics
- Take ownership and work to manage the entire issue lifecycle, from customer, to development team, to resolution
- Make customers happy
- Excellent spoken and written English
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Successful completion of a background check.
Junior Support Engineer
Junior Support Engineers share the same responsibilities outlined above, but typically join with less or alternate experience in one of the key areas of Support Engineering expertise (Systems Administration skills, Ruby on Rails, Git, and customer support). For example, a person with extensive experience in a web framework other than RoR, but with experience on the other three areas would typically join as a Junior.
Senior Support Engineer
Senior Support Engineers are more experienced engineers who meet the following criteria:
- Technical Skills
- Can solve most support tickets in a reasonable time without escalating to development
- Expert in most advanced topics (e.g. LDAP, Jenkins/CI integration, Geo)
- Deep understanding of GitLab internals and a variety of possible configurations
- Debug challenging problems
- Submit merge requests to resolve GitLab bugs
- Help hire and train new Support Engineers
- Become a go-to person for the other Support Engineers when they face tough challenges
- Take ownership of improving documentation
- Lead by example in terms of solving a customer issue, updating documentation as a result, and then radiating this knowledge through documentation. As a guide, tech overview, or tutorial.
- Drive feature requests based on customer interactions
- Suggest and implement improvements to the support workflow
- Contribute to one or more complementary projects
A Senior Support Engineer will be promoted to Staff Support Engineer when they have demonstrated significant leadership and impact; typically around resolving customer issues. This may involve any type of consistent "above and beyond senior level" performance, for example:
- Regularly submitting merge requests for customer reported/requested GitLab bugs and feature proposals
- Working across functional groups to deliver on projects relating to customer experience and success.
- Writing in-depth documentation and clarifying community communications that share knowledge and radiate GitLab's technical strengths
- The ability to create innovative solutions that push GitLab's technical abilities ahead of the curve
- Identifying significant projects that result in substantial cost savings or revenue
- Proactively defining and solving important architectural issues
Applicants for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that applicants can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Qualified applicants receive a short questionnaire from our Global Recruiters
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30min screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a technical first interview with a Support Engineer
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule a customer Support interview with a Support Engineer
- Candidates may be invited to schedule an interview with our Support Lead
- Next, all candidates will have an additional technical interview with the VP of Engineering
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more detail in our hiring handbook.
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto. Apply