- You are here:
- Technical Writing Lead
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
- Lead the Technical Writing team.
- Maintain a single source of truth across our sites, documentation and tutorials.
- Deliver input on promotions, function changes, demotions and firings in consultation with the CEO, and VP of Product
- Lead documentation improvement efforts.
- Create practices that encourage keeping documentation up to date and easily discoverable.
- Make sure by the time of release all documentation, guides and content.
- It is not the responsibility of the Technical Writing team to write the first documentation draft for new or updated features.
- Build out GitLab University so that everyone can quickly get started with GitLab.
- Create tutorials on a workflow designed around GitLab's defining features.
- Work with the Sales and Marketing team leads to make sure the website product content is comprehensive and up to date.
- Create a self-managing framework for the Community Writers program.
- Grow the Remote Only and Conversational Development websites.
- Reorganize documentation around topics, grouping related content into topic portals with a topic index page to overview the included content, taking readers on journey from getting started as a beginner to advanced administration.
- Create marketing website pages comparing GitLab features vs popular competing products.
- Separate documentation rendering from the rails app. Either update GitLab's
/help to point to
docs.gitlab.com or local build of the static site documentation.
- Work with the VP of Product to empower PMs and Engineers to write the first draft of documentation for new or updated features. Use the release blog post as a changelog checklist to ensure everything is documented.
- Work with the VP of Product to create a plan to dogfood ConvDev internally to assess and measures its usefulness compared to other methodologies so that a comprehensive case study which covers all the implementation details, challenges and benefits can be produced.
- Proven experience leading, mentoring, and training teams of technical writers
- Experience working on production-level documentation
- Self-motivated and strong organizational skills
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Familiarity with Static Site Generators, HTML, CSS
- Familiarity with Git, Continuous Integration, Containers, Kubernetes and Project Management software a plus
- Be able to work with the rest of the community
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
NOTE In the compensation calculator below, fill in "Lead" in the
Level field for this role.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more detail in our hiring handbook.
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto. Apply