- You are here:
- Technical Writing Lead
- Lead the Technical Writing team.
- Maintain a single source of truth across our sites, documentation and tutorials.
- Deliver input on promotions, function changes, demotions and firings in consultation with the CEO, and VP of Product
- Lead documentation improvement efforts.
- Create practices that encourage keeping documentation up to date and easily discoverable.
- Make sure by the time of release all documentation, guides and content.
- It is not the responsibility of the Technical Writing team to write the first documentation draft for new or updated features.
- Build out GitLab University so that everyone can quickly get started with GitLab.
- Create tutorials on a workflow designed around GitLab's defining features.
- Work with the Sales and Marketing team leads to make sure the website product content is comprehensive and up to date.
- Create a self-managing framework for the Community Writers program.
- Grow the Remote Only and Conversational Development websites.
- Reorganize documentation around topics, grouping related content into topic portals with a topic index page to overview the included content, taking readers on journey from getting started as a beginner to advanced administration.
- Create marketing website pages comparing GitLab features vs popular competing products.
- Separate documentation rendering from the rails app. Either update GitLab's
/help to point to
docs.gitlab.com or local build of the static site documentation.
- Work with the VP of Product to empower PMs and Engineers to write the first draft of documentation for new or updated features. Use the release blog post as a changelog checklist to ensure everything is documented.
- Work with the VP of Product to create a plan to dogfood ConvDev internally to assess and measures its usefulness compared to other methodologies so that a comprehensive case study which covers all the implementation details, challenges and benefits can be produced.
- Proven experience leading, mentoring, and training teams of technical writers
- Experience working on production-level documentation
- Self-motivated and strong organizational skills
- Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Familiarity with Static Site Generators, HTML, CSS
- Familiarity with Git, Continuous Integration, Containers, Kubernetes and Project Management software a plus
- Be able to work with the rest of the community
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
NOTE In the compensation calculator below, fill in "Lead" in the
Level field for this role.