Faster Code Reviews
Ensure high code quality across teams through seamless code review workflows.
With GitLab, reviews are baked into every part of the development process - so that teams can collaborate together to improve the overall quality of code and implement controls to ensure requirements are adequately implemented in the code.
Code is better with collaboration
Every code review starts with a merge request. The merge request allows team members, reviewers and approvers to collaborate with each other.
- Diff shows the changes alongside the original code - helping reviewers identify changes with ease.
- Comments allow reviewers to ask clarifying questions or discuss the changes with the author and other reviewers.
- Reviewers can insert suggestions for one or more lines of code, rather than going back and forth through comments.
Code controls for better quality
To ensure only high quality code is merged into the main branch, the merge request is also the central place to implement controls
- To identify the right reviewers / approvers, code owners can be defined for every file within the code and owners become an eligible approver for the file.
- Approval rules help define how many approvals a merge request must receive before it can be merged. Multiple approvers can be set up for a change. For example., for a critical backend change, without approvals from backend, database and security, the code cannot be merged.
Continuous improvement through insights
Interpreting data to derive insights for improvement is what gives teams an edge over others.
- Code quality reports help developers identify code quality changes directly in the merge request. Quality violations are also shown on the merge request diff view to enable developers to resolve the violations before the code is merged to maintain the overall health of the code quality.
- Code review analytics helps to analyze patterns and trends related to code reviews that could be slowing down the development cycle time.
Free GitLab trial
GitLab is more than just source code management or CI/CD. It is a full software development lifecycle & DevOps tool in a single application.Start your free trial Watch a demo