- You are here:
Because growth is a part of product we won't use the term growth in other parts of the company. For example in marketing we might use demand generation and pipe-to-spend as a metric.
Growth stands for the growth in usage growth.
SMAU stands for Stage Monthly Active Users. The growth group is responsible for increasing these.
SMAU can be increased in multiple ways:
- Increase usage pings
- Increase new users
- Increase retention of users
- Increase reactivation of users
- Increase number of stages per user
- Increase the number of stages
Each of these is worthwhile to increase for their own sake:
- More insight in how our product is used
- More people intruduced to the product
- Happier users of the product
- Winning people back
- When people use more stages they are less likely to churn and more likely to buy
- A more extensive application that addresses more use cases
Each of these has different ways of increasing it:
- Cloud License Management (Sync) and registration for dependency scanning
- Request an account when you can't self-signup, instead of always having to ask the admin make it for you.
- Fix problems that churned users report.
- Email churned users when features are introduced that they requested before churning.
- In-product hints at relevant times to use a new stage.
- Add a network security stage.
Per organization we can determine a SMAU factor to determine adoption:
SMAU factor = SMAU / Potential users * GitLab Stages