Today we are releasing version 8.6.5 for GitLab Community Edition (CE) and Enterprise Edition (EE).
This version includes an important security fix for Two-factor Authentication, fixes for project importing, and a performance improvement in Git post-receive handling.
Read on for all the details!
- EE: Allow OAuth SSL verification to be disabled when importing from GitHub (!323)
- CE/EE: Prevent Two-factor Authentication spoofing
- CE/EE: Fix for importing projects from GitHub Enterprise (!3529)
- CE/EE: Update project language after doing all other operations (!3533)
- CE/EE: Check permissions when importing project members (!3535)
- CE/EE: Unblocks user when active_directory is disabled and it can be found (!3550)
- CE/EE: Only update main language if it is not already set (!3556)
- CE/EE: Return status code 303 after a branch DELETE operation to avoid project deletion (!3583)
Two-factor Authentication spoofing
Jobert Abma of HackerOne alerted us to a security vulnerability related to the two-factor authentication (2FA) method used in GitLab CE and EE.
It was possible for an attacker to bypass password authentication of users that have 2FA enabled, and consequently sign in as a different user without knowing their password, if he could guess the user's current six-digit 2FA validation code.
It was also possible to enumerate users and check if they have 2FA enabled, because GitLab responded with a different error for each case.
We've also released new packages for 8.5, 8.4, and 8.3 to include this important fix.
This version does not include any new migrations, and should not require any downtime.
Please be aware that by default the Omnibus packages will stop, run migrations,
and start again, no matter how “big” or “small” the upgrade is. This behavior
can be changed by adding a
To update, check out our update page.
Interested in GitLab Enterprise Edition? Check out the features exclusive to EE.
Access to GitLab Enterprise Edition is included with a subscription. No time to upgrade GitLab yourself? Subscribers receive upgrade and installation services