In order to be accepted into the GitLab for Education Program, each Educational Institution must meet the following requirements:
- Accredited: the Educational Institution must be accredited by a local, state, provincial, federal, or national authorized agency. See more details.
- Primary purpose teaching: the Educational Institution must have the primary purpose of teaching its enrolled students.
- Degree granting: the Educational Institution actively grant degrees such as a high school diploma, associate's degree, bachelor's degree, master's degree, or doctor of philosphy.
- Not-for-profit: the Educational Institution must be not-for-profit. For-profit entities are not eligible.
GitLab for Education Licenses can only be used for:
- Instructional-Use: activites directly related to learning, training, or development of students including academic instruction that are part of the instructional functions of the Educational Institution or
- Non-Commerical Academic Research: conducting not-for-profit research projects that do not produce results, works, services, or data for commerical use by anyone to generate revenue. Research conducted at the request of and for the benefit of a third party is not authorized under the GitLab for Education license.
- It is not authorized to run, administer, or operate an insitution with the GitLab for Education license. GitLab offers academic discounts and special pricing for campus-wide use. See more details.
- Faculty or Staff: only faculty or staff employed full-time at an Educational Institution can apply. We are not able to issue licenses to students directly.
- Email domain: applicants must apply with the email domain of their representative institution. Personal email domains will not be accepted.
GitLab for Education Agreement
- Upon acceptance, all program members are subject to the GitLab for Education Program Agreement.
- Unlimited seats per license of our top-tier functionality (SaaS or self-managed). The number of seats is the number of different users that will use this license during the next year.
- The number of seats and type of license (Saas or self-managed) can be changed at the time of renewal or upon request.
- GitLab support is not included with the educational license.
- 50k CI runner minutes are included with the subscription. (Additional minutes must be purchased).
During 2021, we are working on automation projects for this program that may cause disruptions to the application and renewal process. To help us prioritize, please let us know if your request is urgent by including "Urgent: [your request]" in the subject line of any email to email@example.com.
- Fill out the application form. Please provide the most accurate and complete information as possible when filling out the form including a complete billing address with street number, street name, and zipcode.
- Please indicate how the license will be used in the Educational Use Case field (see our definitions).
- Please include any additional details on how the license will be used in the Educational Use Case Notes field. This information will help us determine if the application will be accepted.
- Allow 10 business days for an initial response.
What to expect
If your application is accepted, we'll work with you to grant your license. Here's how:
- The applicant will receive a zero dollar quote for signature.
- Review the quote and the included terms and conditions.
- Sign and return the quote electronically.
- Directions for accessing your license will be sent to you afer the signed quote is accepted.
- The license key (self-managed) or group authentication (SaaS) will require you to log in to the (GitLab Customer Portal).
Email a renewal request
You will need to email us annually to renew your membership.
Please begin the renewal process at least one month in advance to ensure sufficient processing time. You will receive email reminders to do so and can renew as early as three months in advance of your membership's expiration.
To renew, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information (copy and paste):
Subject: Renewal Request | Date of Expiration (MM/YYYY) To help us find your account:
Name of your organization or project Email associated with this accountTo help us make sure you still qualify: Please verify the use case for the education license. Professional IT and infrastructure operations do not fall within the stated terms of the Education Program.To help us plan for next year: Number of seats you are renewing. Any change of ownership to the account. If the ownership needs to change, please send the new account holder's name, email address, and contact mailing address.
Our program requirements may change from time to time, and we'll need to make sure that you continue to meet them year after year. If you do not qualify upon renewal, we'll work with you to make any needed transition as smooth as possible.
If you do not renew your membership for any reason, your account will be downgraded.
What to expect
If your renewal request is accepted, you'll be asked to sign a zero dollar renewal quote. After that, here's what to expect for each type of renewal:
- Saas renewals: No further action is necessary after your renewal is fully processed. Your account will automatically renew.
- Self-managed renewals: You'll need to obtain your license from the (GitLab Customer Portal) and upload it to your instance.