GitLab exists today in large part thanks to the work of hundreds of thousands of open source contributors around the world. To give back to this community, we want to help their teams be more efficient, secure, and productive by allowing them to use GitLab's top capabilities.
We are experiencing delays at this time and apologize for longer than usual waiting times. If your request is urgent, please email email@example.com and add "Urgent: [your request]" in the subject line.
- OSI-approved open source license -- All of the code you host in this GitLab group must be published under OSI-approved open source licenses
- Non-profit -- Your organization must not seek to make a profit. Accepting donations to sustain your efforts is ok
- Publicly visible -- Your GitLab.com group or self-hosted instance and your source code must be publicly visible and publicly available
If you believe your project meets all program requirements, we welcome your application!
Note: Unfortunately, we are not able to accept all open source projects that are affiliated with the US Federal government. If you are affiliated, please let us know and we will work with you to see if your project qualifies.
Apply to the program
- Submit the application form on the right side of this page to help us verify that you meet all program requirements. For help setting up a qualifying group or project, see the relevant FAQ below
- You can expect an initial response from our team within 5-10 business days. You may be asked to provide additional information
What to expect
If your application is accepted, we’ll work with you to grant your license. Here's how:
- Sign a quote. The balance will be zero unless you decide to add on paid support. You will be prompted to sign this electronically
- Accept the Terms and Conditions that will be sent to your email along with the quote
- Receive the license key (for Ultimate) or further authentication instructions (for Gold)
Email a renewal request
You will need to email us annually to renew your membership.
Please begin the renewal process at least one month in advance to ensure sufficient processing time. You will receive email reminders to do so and can renew as early as three months in advance of your membership's expiration.
To renew, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information (copy and paste):
Subject: Renewal Request | Date of Expiration (MM/YYYY)
To help us find your account:
* Name of your organization or project
* Email associated with this account
To help us make sure you still qualify:
* Link to your publicly visible GitLab instance
* Link to one of your OSI-compliant licenses
* Written acceptance of this statement (Include this sentence in your request):
`I confirm that my organization does not seek to make a profit from this OSS project`
To help us plan for the next year:
* Number of seats you're renewing (now is the time to add more if needed!)
* Any change of ownership to the account.
If it needs to change, please send the new account holder's Name, email, and contact mailing address
Our program requirements may change from time to time, and we'll need to make sure that you continue to meet them year after year. If you do not qualify upon renewal, we'll work with you to make any needed transition as smooth as possible.
If you do not renew your membership for any reason, your account will be downgraded.
What to expect
If your renewal request is accepted, you'll be asked to sign a zero dollar renewal quote. After that, here's what to expect for each type of renewal:
- Gold renewals. No further action is necessary after your renewal is fully processed. Your account will automatically renew.
- Ultimate renewals. You'll need to upload your renewal license once it is issued.
Please let us know if you have any questions about the renewal process via email@example.com.
- All public projects on GitLab.com automatically receive Gold functionality at the project level. Apply to this program if you need Gold functionality at the group level or if your open source project will need the additional CI minutes that come with this program.
- Free GitLab Ultimate and Gold accounts do not include support. However, you can purchase support for 95% off, at $4.95 per user per month.
- The number of seats is the number of different users that will use this license during the next year.
- Your program membership needs to be renewed annually. If you do not renew, your account will be downgraded.
If you have any additional questions regarding this program, feel free to reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.