The Engineering Fellow role is the individual contributor equivalent to a VP of Engineering.
The Engineering Fellow is a grade 12.
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance that impact all of Engineering at GitLab.
- Solve technical problems of the highest scope and complexity for the entire organization.
- Exert significant influence on the over GitLab's long-term goals and execution.
- Ensure that our standards for style, maintainability, and best practices are suitable for the unique problems of scale and diversity of use represented by the GitLab product. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Drive innovation across Engineering with a willingness to experiment and to boldly confront problems of immense complexity and scope.
- Drive significant improvements for GitLab's use, ease of development, and technical efficiency through effective collaboration and prolific technical contributions.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication in all aspects of our software development lifecycle and public relations. Interact with customers and other external stakeholders as a consultant and spokesperson for critical projects and aspects of our technical architecture.
- Provide mentorship for Senior and Staff Engineers at the company to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and to share your great expertise across the organization.
- Ship extremely high-impact features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other members of the organization.
- Help create the sense of psychological safety in the department
- Distinguished Engineer
- Engineering Fellow
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our Global Recruiters.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 60 minute first interview with a VP of Development
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute second interview with an Engineering Fellow
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute third interview with another member of the Engineering team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute fourth interview with a Director of Engineering
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute fifth interview with a Chief Technology Officer
- Finally, candidates may be asked to schedule a 50 minute final interview with our CEO
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity,
Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Friends and Family days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.