The Corporate Controller leads the accounting and financial reporting activities and is responsible for the leadership, development and execution of the company’s corporate accounting function.
Reporting to the Principal Accounting Officer, the Corporate Controller enhances financial controls, processes and oversees compliance with our policies and procedures.
These functions and processes produce timely and accurate monthly financial results in compliance with US GAAP and SEC reporting requirements.
The Controller is also responsible for capturing, defining and ensuring accurancy of non-gaap finanical metrics.
The Controller works closely with our external and internal auditors, and other members of the organization to complete our monthly and quarterly reporting on a timely basis.
This role instills a culture of strong internal controls across the company and is responsible for compliance with our technical accounting standards, GL and sub-modules for efficient operations and global revenue.
The Director, Corporate Controller is a 10.
- Oversees the monthly close process and is accountable for achieving our target for days to close.
- Ensure consistent compliance of corporate accounting principles and procedures in full compliance with US GAAP and SEC reporting standards.
- Be involved in the global revenue recognition review.
- Hands-on experience in managing accounting operations, monthly/quarterly accounting close and preparation of financial statements.
- Ability to optimize and automate accounting processes to drive a faster monthly/quarterly close cycle.
- Experience with Netsuite.
- Work with the team to assess and report status of existing accounting and reporting standards, procedures and internal controls to identify areas of improvements.
Contribute to remediation plans when deficiencies are noted in testing of internal controls.
- Partner effectively with other finance team members and non-accounting functions to drive improved controls and process enhancements.
- Ability to make decisions, prioritize effectively and meet deadlines while maintaining the highest level of standards for completeness and accuracy.
- Enable increased level of employee job satisfaction and employee engagement through leadership, coaching and development of the team.
- Efficiency in leading remote employees.
- Proven experience leading to a high-performing accounting and control organization.
- Leadership experience in a software or global technology company.
- Strategic vision and best-practices to guide the team.
- Tactical approach to enable effective implementation.
- The individual will demonstrate strong business judgment applied to routine and complex financial and accounting issues.
- Professional curiosity when addressing business and accounting issues.
- Demonstrated ability to work with investor facing teams to showcase the company's financial results.
- International experience working with overseas financial operations.
- Over 10 years of experience dealing with complex accounting matters.
- A CPA along with a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent is required.
- Proven success as a Corporate Controller of complex global business entity, and ability to handle the financial accounting and financial reporting.
- Significant technical accounting background.
- Willing to get into the details to understand business processes at a deep level with the ability to drive efficiencies.
- Proven ability to drive change in accounting processes driving faster monthly/quarterly close while improving employee engagement.
- Self-motivated team player who can credibly communicate with and relate to people at all levels in the finance and accounting organization, with experience to mentor the team.
- Demonstrated ability to work across culturally and to succeed in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to use GitLab.
- Average days to close
- Number of material audit adjustments
- Average days of sales outstanding
- New hire location factor
- Percentage of ineffective SOX Controls
- Interview with PAO, CFO, direct reports, VP-Finance, Director of Revenue
The next step in the Controller job family is to move to the Principal Accounting Officer job family.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.