This role requires an analytical and business-oriented mindset with the ability to implement rigorous database solutions and best practices in order to produce and influence the adoption of strong quality data insights to drive business decisions in all areas of GitLab. Data Engineers are essentially software engineers who have a particular focus on data movement and orchestration.
The Data Engineer is a grade 6.
- 2+ years hands-on experience deploying production quality code
- Professional experience using Python, Java, or Scala for data processing (Python preferred)
- Knowledge of and experience with data-related Python packages
- Demonstrably deep understanding of SQL and analytical data warehouses (Snowflake preferred)
- Hands-on experience implementing ETL (or ELT) best practices at scale.
- Hands-on experience with data pipeline tools (Airflow, Luigi, Azkaban, dbt)
- Strong data modeling skills and familiarity with the Kimball methodology.
- Experience with Salesforce, Zuora, Zendesk and Marketo as data sources and consuming data from SaaS application APIs.
- Share and work in accordance with our values
- Constantly improve product quality, security, and performance
- Desire to continually keep up with advancements in data engineering practices
- Catch bugs and style issues in code reviews
- Ship small features independently
- Successful completion of a background check
- Ability to use GitLab
- Maintain our data warehouse with timely and quality data
- Build and maintain data pipelines from internal databases and SaaS applications
- Create and maintain architecture and systems documentation
- Write maintainable, performant code
- Implement the DataOps philosophy in everything you do
- Plan and execute system expansion as needed to support the company's growth and analytic needs
- Collaborate with Data Analysts to drive efficiencies for their work
- Collaborate with other functions to ensure data needs are addressed
- This position is always central and reports to the Manager, Data
Senior Data Engineer
The Senior Data Engineer role extends the Data Engineer role.
The Senior Data Engineer is a grade 7.
- All requirements of an Intermediate Data Engineer
- Understand and implement data engineering best practices
- Improve, manage, and teach standards for code maintainability and performance in code submitted and reviewed
- Create smaller merge requests and issues by collaborating with stakeholders to reduce scope and focus on iteration
- Ship medium to large features independently
- Generate architecture recommendations and the ability to implement them
- Great communication: Regularly achieve consensus amongst teams
- Perform technical interviews
Performance Indicators (PI)
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with one of our Global Recruiters
- Next candidates will be invited to complete an assessment
- On successful completion of the assessment, candidates will then be invited to schedule a first interview with the Hiring Manager
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule two separate interviews with two Peers from the Data team
- Final stage will be with our Senior Director of Data.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
The next step in the Data Engineer job family is to move to the Data Management job family.
To find out more about the compensation for this role, please
apply to a role
first. Once selected for a screening call, you'll be able to sign up here to view our
Be sure to use the same email address for both.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
- Transparency: over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered
- Iteration: empower people to be effective, Merge Request rate, everyone using the product, DRI, have an impact
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: high percentage of women,
Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Compensation: pay at or above the 50th percentile, stock options, office equipment
- Work/Life Harmony: don't compete on hours worked, flexible workday, Friends and Family days
- Remote Done Right: all remote, prolific inventor of best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.