- You are here:
- Finance Roles
- Data Engineer
- Maintain our data warehouse with timely and quality data
- Build and maintain data pipelines from internal databases and SaaS applications
- Create and maintain architecture and systems documentation
- Implement the DataOps philosophy in everything you do
- Plan and execute system expansion as needed to support the company's growth and analytic needs
- Collaborate with Data Analysts to drive efficiencies for their work
- Collaborate with other functions to ensure data needs are addressed
- This position reports to the Manager, Data
Senior Data Engineer
The Senior Data Engineer role extends the Data Engineer role.
- All requirements of an Intermediate Data Engineer
- Understand and implement data engineering best practices
- Write great code
- Create smaller merge requests and issues by collaborating with stakeholders to reduce scope and focus on iteration
- Teach and enforce architectural patterns in code reviews
- Ship medium to large features independently
- Generate architecture recommendations and the ability to implement them
- Great communication: Regularly achieve consensus amongst teams
- Perform technical interviews
Staff Data Engineer
The Staff Data Engineer role extends the Senior Data Engineer role.
- Advocate for improvements to data quality, security, and performance that have particular impact across your team and others.
- Solve technical problems of the highest scope and complexity for your team.
- Exert significant influence on the overall objectives and long-range goals of your team.
- Shepherd the definition and improvement of our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale reporting environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Drive innovation on the team with a willingness to experiment and to boldly confront problems of immense complexity and scope.
- Actively seek out difficult impediments to our efficiency as a team ("technical debt"), propose and implement solutions that will enable the entire team to iterate faster
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around broad initiatives, specific projects, and community contributions. Interact with customers and other external stakeholders as a consultant and spokesperson for the work of your team.
- Provide mentorship for all Analysts and Engineers on your team to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and remove blockers to their autonomy.
- Confidently ship large features, reports, and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Focus on end-to-end systems and processes across the data stack
- Drive efficiency optimizations at the extract, load, transform, and reporting layers data infrastructure
- Proactively identify and address Data Analyst pain points and processes by creating better tooling and documentation
- Evangelize the data team's output to other functions
- Drive efficiencies around the transform and reporting layers of the data infrastructure
- Oversee coverage rotations
- Manage the Data Analyst Intern program
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with our Manager, Data & Analytics
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a second interview with a Data Engineer on the Data & Analytics team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a third interview with members of the Meltano team
- Finally, candidates may be asked to interview with our CEO
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it
listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are
advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are
interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS),
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed
requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more
detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity and inclusion,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto.