The Manager, Data is a grade 8.
- Manage our data warehouse so it can support data analysis and operational requirements from all functional groups
- Work with Product to operate and analyze a unified data ecosystem that includes our SaaS, Telemetry, and other usage data
- Be the data specialist supporting cross-functional teams, gathering data from various sources, and enabling automated reporting to democratize data across the company
- Hold regular 1:1’s with all members of the Data Team
- Triage and manage development priorities of analytics dashboards and data pipelines
- Represent the Data Team in different company functions - be an advocate for holistic dataflow systems thinking
- Create and execute a plan to develop and mature our capacity to measure and optimize usage growth and our user journey
- Regularly give Data group conversations and participate in Monthly KPI meetings
- Implement the DataOps philosophy in everything you do
- Collaborate with all functions of the company to ensure data needs are addressed
- Build upon and document our common data framework so that all data can be connected and analyzed
- 2+ years hands on experience in a data analytics/engineering/science role
- 2+ years managing a team of 2 or more data analysts/engineers/scientists
- Experience working with management to define and measure KPIs and other operating metrics
- Experience growing a team in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- Demonstrably deep understanding of SQL and relational databases (we use Snowflake)
- Reason holistically about end-to-end data systems: from ETL to Analysis to Reporting
- Hands on experience working with Python
- Experience building and maintaining data pipelines (Airflow preferred)
- Experience building reports and dashboards in a data visualization tool (we use Periscope)
- Experience with open source data warehouse tools
- Be passionate about data, analytics, and automation, especially in applying software engineering concepts to data science and analytics
- Experience working with large quantities of raw, disorganized data
- Experience with Salesforce, Zuora, Zendesk and Marketo
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Share and work in accordance with our values
- Must be able to work in alignment with Americas timezones
- Successful completion of a background check
- Leadership at GitLab
- Ability to use GitLab
Staff Data Engineer
The Staff Data Engineer role extends the Senior Data Engineer role and is the individual contributor equivalent to the Manager, Data role.
The Staff Data Engineer is a grade 8.
- Develop improvements to data quality, security, and performance that have particular impact across your team and others.
- Solve technical problems of the highest scope and complexity for your team.
- Exert significant influence on the long-range goals of your team.
- Define and extend our internal standards for style, maintenance, and best practices for a high-scale data platform.
- Drive innovation on the team with a willingness to experiment and to boldly confront problems of immense complexity and scope.
- Vigorously identify and solution impediments and opportunities that impact the velocity and quality of the work done on the entire data team
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around broad initiatives, specific projects, and community contributions.
- Interact with customers and other external stakeholders as a consultant and spokesperson for the work of your team.
- Provide mentorship for all on your team to help them grow in their technical responsibilities.
- Ship large features and foundational improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
Staff Data Analyst
The Staff Data Analyst role extends the Senior Data Analyst role and is the individual contributor equivalent to the Manager, Data role.
The Staff Data Analyst is a grade 8.
- Drive innovation across GitLab with a willingness to experiment and to boldly confront problems of immense complexity and scope
- Seek out difficult impediments to our efficiency as a team ("technical debt"), propose and implement solutions that will enable the entire team to iterate faster
- Exert significant influence on the long-range goals of GitLab
- Reviews and analyzes query performances (in Snowflake) to add new best practices to the Data Team's coding standards
- Ensure that our standards for style, are maintained, and best practices are suitable for the unique problems of scale and diversity of use. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review
- Maintains the Data Team Business Intelligence (BI) tool environment (permissions, access, etc.)
- Research new data analytics methodologies with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects
- Act as a specialist in the Data Analytics industry and in GitLab by setting the strategic aims and the short term goals of the Data Team, focusing on team improvements
- Provide mentorship for all analysts at GitLab to help them grow in their technical responsibilities, remove blockers to their autonomy, and share your knowledge across the organization
- Create training guides, blog posts, templates, and recorded training sessions to help all at GitLab understand how to accurately view data, use data for insights, and the implications of data-driven analysis in conjunction with legal and security concerns
- Help create the sense of psychological safety in the department
Performance Indicators (PI)
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with our Director of Business Operations
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a second interview with our Finance Operations and Planning Lead
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule one or more interviews with members of the BizOps team
- Finally, candidates may be asked to interview with our CFO or CEO
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.