- You are here:
- Sales Roles
- Solutions Architect
Solution Architects are the trusted advisors to GitLab prospects and clients, showing how the GitLab solutions address clients business requirements. Solution Architects are responsible for actively driving and managing the technology evaluation and validation stages of the sales process. Solution Architects are the product advocates for GitLab’s Enterprise Edition, serving as a trusted advisor to the client, focusing on the technical solution while also understanding the business challenges the customer is trying to overcome.
The Solution Architect for Customer Success Initiatives provides the opportunity to help drive value and change in the world of software development for one of the fastest growing platforms. By applying your solution selling and architecture experience from planning to monitoring, you will support and enable successful adoption of the GitLab platform. You will be working directly with our top enterprise customers. You will be working collaboratively with our sales, engineering, product management and marketing organizations.
This role provides technical guidance and support through the entire sales cycle. You will have the opportunity to help shape and execute a strategy to build mindshare and broad use of the GitLab platform within enterprise customers becoming the trusted advisor. The ideal candidate must be self-motivated with a proven track record in software/technology sales or consulting. The ability to connect technology with measurable business value is critical to a solutions architect. You should also have a demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, products, and technical challenges.
To learn more, see the Solutions Architect handbook
- Primarily engaged in a technical consultancy role, providing technical assistance and guidance specific to enterprise level implementations, during the pre-sales process by identifying customers technical and business requirements in order to design a custom GitLab solution
- In partnership with the sales team, formulate and execute a sales strategy to exceed revenue objectives through the adoption of GitLab
- Educate customers of all sizes on the value proposition of GitLab, and participate in all levels of discussions throughout the organization to ensure our solution is set up for successful deployment
- Work onsite with strategic, enterprise class customers, delivering solutions architecture consulting, technical guidance, knowledge transfer and establish “trusted advisor status”
- Capture and share best-practice knowledge amongst the GitLab community
- Author or otherwise contribute to GitLab customer-facing publications such as whitepapers, blogs, diagrams or the GitLab Handbook
- Build deep relationships with senior technical individuals within customers to enable them to be GitLab advocates
- Serve as the customer advocate to other GitLab teams including Product Development, Sales and Marketing
- Present GitLab platform strategy, concepts and roadmap to technical leaders within customer organizations
- Presentation skills with a high degree of comfort speaking with executives, IT Management, and developers
- Strong written communication skills
- High level of comfort communicating effectively across internal and external organizations
- Ideal candidates will preferably have 7 plus years IT industry or IT technical sales related to experience with a proven track record of solution sales expertise
- Significant experience with executive presence and a proven ability to lead and facilitate executive meetings and workshops
- Deep knowledge of software development lifecycle and development pipeline (planning to monitoring)
- Understanding of continuous integration, continuous deployment, chatOps and cloud native
- Experience with waterfall, Agile (SCRUM, Kanban, etc) and able to discuss workflows for different software development processes
- Experience with modern development practices strongly preferred:
- Package Management
- DevOps Pipelines (CI/CD)
- Application Security (SAST, DAST)
- Cloud (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Application Performance Monitoring
- System Logging
- Experience with several of the following tools strongly preferred:
- Ruby on Rails, Java, PHP, Python
- Git, Bitbucket, GitHub, SVN
- Jira, VersionOne, TFS
- Jenkins, Travis, CircleCI
- Veracode, Fortify
- Artifactory, Nexus
- New Relic, Nagios
- Understand mono-repo and distributed-repo approaches
- Understand BASH / Shell scripting
- Ability to travel up to 35%
- B.Sc. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Successful completion of a background check
Read more about what a specialty is at GitLab.
Junior Solutions Architect
Junior Solutions Architects share the same requirements and responsibilities outlined above, but typically join with less relevant experience, alternate background and/or less industry exposure than a typical enterprise Solutions Architect. The Junior Solutions Architect role most commonly interacts with small to mid-size companies rather than large enterprises.
Senior Solutions Architect
The Senior Solutions Architect role extends the Solutions Architect role to include more responsibilities based on experience, expertise and team influence.
- Solve technical customer issues of large scope and high complexity
- Exert influence on the overall objectives and long-range goals of the team
- Provide mentorship for Junior and Intermediate Solutions Architects on your team to help them grow in their technical knowledge
- Work cross-departmentally to find solutions to complex scenarios and integration issues
- Demonstrate leadership in new feature and technology adoption and teaching
- Help drive team expertise and technical thought leadership
- Propose improvements and innnovation for customer calls and demos based on market direction
- Maintain deep knowledge of the entire GitLab application
- Represent GitLab in thought leadership as a speaker at field events or as an author in GitLab-focused publications and blogs
A Senior Solutions Architect may choose to pursue the management track after this.
Federal Solutions Architect
- Participating in conferences and trade shows and interacting with government customers in attendance
- Contribute to the creation of case studies, white papers, and media articles for government customers and/or partner
- Consistently provide world-class customer service during pre-sales, implementation, and post-sales activities
- Manage all technical aspects of the sales cycle: creating high quality professional presentations, custom demos, proof of concepts, deliver technical deep dive sessions & workshops, differentiate GitLab from competition, answering RFI, RFPs, etc.
- TS/SCI Security Clearance
- Must be located in the Washington DC metro area
- Knowledge and at least 4 years of experience with Federal customers
- Ability to travel up to 50%
- Understand mono-repo and distributed-repo approaches
Manager, Solutions Architects
GitLab is a hyper growth company searching for people who are intelligent, aggressive and agile with strong skills in technology, sales, business, communication and leadership. Desire to lead through change is a must.
The Manager, Solutions Architects role is a management position on the front lines. This is a player/coach role where the individual is expected to be experienced in and have advanced insight to the GitLab platform. The individual will contribute to territory and account strategy as well as driving the execution directly and indirectly. The individual will need to be very comfortable giving and receiving positive and constructive feedback, as well as adapting to environmental change and retrospecting on successes and failures. The Manager, Solutions Architects will work together with the other managers within the customer success organization to help execute on strategies and vision with the Director.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of your team of Solutions Architects
- Work as an individual contributor for key accounts as needed or requested
- Participate in technical sales calls, and contribute to creating sales and evaluation strategy at the account level
- Provide technical leadership and platform strategy to the team as well as the larger sales organization
- All aspects of people management, including hiring, development, training, regular 1:1s and annual reviews
- Hire, train and retain top talent
- Provide feedback and direction, both positive and constructive, to personnel in a timely manner
- Build a strong team and provide satisfaction among your team and customers
- Influence both internal and external C-level executives through presentations and whiteboard sessions
- Work collaboratively with other groups, including Sales, Professional Services, Support, Engineering, Technical Account - Managers and Product Management, to ensure effective operation of your team, achieve the technical win, and ensure ongoing customer satisfaction
- Formulate best practices for presentations, demos, and POCs as well as overall sales strategy
- Act as a trusted advisor to higher level management on strategic opportunity reviews, emerging competitive threats, product direction, and establishing sales objectives and strategies
- Work with the Customer Success Director to help establish and manage Solutions Architect goals and responsibilities
- Assist in development of thought leadership, event-specific and customer-facing presentations
- Share hands-on technical preparation and presentation work for key accounts
- Take the lead in hiring and onboarding new SA’s
- Ensure the SA team exceeds corporate expectations in core knowledge, communication and execution
- Define and maintain a high bar for team member expectations and enable the team to achieve it
- Challenge the team and yourself to continually learn and grow as trusted advisors to clients
- Evangelize new product features & provide customer feedback to GitLab product management and engineering groups
- Ensuring the Solutions Architects engage the Technical Account Manager during the pre-sales so that the post-sales technical process handoff for seamless Drive customer adoption and success by providing oversight, adoption - recommendations, opportunities for greater service
- Ensure timely resolution of POC issues by coordinating support responses
- Maintain a deep understanding of each customer’s business as well as their technical environments – become a trusted advisor to our customers
- Support the Sales team with opportunity qualification, demonstrations, Proof of Concept presentations (POC), RFP responses, and business justification in a pre-sales capacity
- Mentor and develop the existing Solutions Architect team
- Be able to present complex technical solutions to clients
- Present credibly to engineering decision makers and technology executives
- Develop and execute solution selling strategies and identify opportunities for process improvements
- Remain knowledgeable and up-to-date on GitLab releases
All requirements for the Solutions Architect role apply to the Manager, Solutions Architects position, as the management position will need to understand and participate with the day-to-day aspects of the Solutions Architect role in addition to managing the team. Additional requirements include:
- Experienced in and with advanced insight to the GitLab platform
- Experienced in giving and received positive and constructive feedback
- Able to adapt to environmental change and restrospecting on success and failures
- Previous leadership experience is a plus
- Experienced in collaborating with other managers and executing strategies
Director, Solutions Architects
GitLab’s Director of Solution Architects provides strategic vision and builds and develops an exceptional team of Solution Architects. This person manages the team responsible for leading technical evaluation and validation of prospects’ and customers’ needs to drive new customer acquisition and expansion for existing customers. Partnering closely with Sales and customer success teams, this leader will create strategies and operations to effectively and efficiently accelerate GitLab’s growth and improve prospects’ and customers’ experiences.
- Hire, mentor and develop exceptional team of solution architects
- Develop strategies and operations to improve win rates by aligning and articulating GItLab solution to deliver on specific customer needs and problem statements
- Identify and lead initiatives and programs to establish and scale the organization and operations for future growth
- Develop processes and metrics and KPIs to improve effectiveness and efficiency of technical evaluations, demos and proof-of-concept engagements
- Partner with sales, channels and alliances teams to align on overall strategy and priorities and provide support for specific prospects, customers and partners
- Develop and foster relationships for key customers at the technical champion and executive level
- Partner with sales leadership to align with and deliver to regional and account plans and strategies
- Collaborate with Sales and Customer Success to improve engagement models and ensure the appropriate coverage of prospects and customers
- Partner with product, engineering, marketing and services teams to provide feedback to improve products, services and value messaging based on field experiences and feedback
- Partner with Sales Operations to ensure efficient and ongoing enablement and development of the team
- Be a role model for GitLab’s values and culture
- 5+ years experience leading solution architect and/or sales engineering teams
- 2+ years experience building and leading team of managers
- Experience selling to enterprise customers and well-versed in enterprise engagement approaches
- Demonstrated ability to build and improve strategies and operations to improve technical assessment processes and team enablement
- Experience with software development lifecycle processes and tools as well as agile and/or DevOps practices
- Knowledgeable with cloud technologies (e.g., Kubernetes, Docker), application security (SAST, DAST) and/or cloud deployment models (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Experience selling technical solutions to technical staff, management and executive stakeholders
- Proven experience partnering with the broader organization (sales, channel, alliances, product and engineering, marketing and customer success)
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience
- There are two specialties:
- Enterprise Solution Architect Director will manage a team of SAs, focused on GitLab’s enterprise customers
- Commercial Solution Architect Director will manage a team of SAs, focused on GitLab’s commercial customers (i.e., midmarket and SMB)
Candidates can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with Director of Customer Success
- For an individual contributor role, candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with a Customer Success peer and may be asked to participate in a demo of a live install of GitLab
- For a manager role, candidates will be invited to schedule interviews with our Regional Sales Directors for North America
- Candidates will be invited to schedule a third interview with our CRO
- Finally, candidates may be asked to interview with the CEO
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer directly from Director of Customer Success
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
You will typically get 75% as base, and 25% based on meeting the global sales goal of incremental ACV. Also see the Sales Compensation Plan.
Please note that if we are actively hiring for a position, you will see it
listed on our jobs page, where all of our current openings are
advertised. To apply, please click on the name of the role you are
interested in, which will take you to our applicant tracking system (ATS),
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed
requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more
detail in our hiring handbook.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity and inclusion,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan
the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head
office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and
can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released
as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and
don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured
we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto.