GitLab for Education
At GitLab, we believe that every student can contribute! Our mission is to promote GitLab and DevOps at educational institutions around the world. We aim to build a community of educators, learners, and researchers who are passionate about all things related to DevOps and GitLab.
Beyond providing free, unlimited licenses of our top tiers of GitLab (Self-hosted Ultimate or Hosted Gold), we want to be a resource for you to learn more about DevOps and connect with others who share your interest.
Requirements and application
- In order to qualify, educational institutions must be accredited and non-profit. (see more details)
- The GitLab Education license can only be used for instructional-use or non-commercial academic research. IT professional use and/or use for institutional administration is not permitted under the educational license.
- Only faculty or staff employed full-time at an educational institution can apply. We are not able to issue licenses to students directly.
- Applicants must apply with the email domain of their representative institution. Please do not use personal email domains.
- Unlimted seats per license of Gold (GitLab hosted) or Ultimate (self-hosted). Renewed annually.
- The number of seats and type of license (Gold or Ultimate) can be changed at the time of renewal or upon request.
- GitLab support is not included with the educational license but it is available to education program members at a discount for $4.95 per seat per month (95% off list price).
- 50k CI runner minutes are included with the subscription. (Additional minutes must be purchased).
- If you have any additional questions regarding this program, feel free to reach us at email@example.com.
- Fill out the application form. Please provide the most accurate and complete information as possible when filling out the form including a complete billing address with street number, street name, and zipcode.
- Please indicate how the license will be used in the Educational Use Case field (see our definitions). Please include any additional details on how the license will be used in the Educational Use Case Notes field. This information will help us determine if the application will be accepted.
- Allow 5 business days for turn-around time.
- Upon acceptance, applicants will receive a quote via email with our (GitLab Subscription Agreement) to be signed by an authorized institutional representative.
- Return the signed quote to us.
- Receive the license key (for Ultimate via our Customer Portal) or GitLab Group authentication instructions (for Gold via email).
- Please reach out to us via firstname.lastname@example.org approximately one month before your license expires.
- Provide the number of seats needed for the renewal and any other changes to your account such as type of license or primary contact.
- Provide details on the use case for the educational license.
- Please allow 5 business days for turn-around time.
We are thrilled to welcome you to the GitLab for Education Program! The GitLab for Education Program has issued over 1.62 million seats of top-tier GitLab to over 800 educational institutions in over 65+ countries. We've come this far in only two years and are growing every day! As we continue to build on this momentum - our top goal is be the place to be for all things DevOps education.
Here are few things to get you started on your DevOps journey:
Join the GitLab Forum
Come on by and introduce yourself! We created a special Education category as a resource for our program members. Consider the forum your resource for Q&A on GitLab!
Apply to Students Spotlights
Apply, interview, and get swag! We can't wait to meet you and learn about your projects!
Take our Survey
We'd love to hear from you about your experience and what you'd like to see next! Help shape the future of DevOps education at GitLab.
Attend or Host a Meetup
In a pinch for a lecture topic? Looking for an engaging speaker on DevOps? Check out GitLab Meetups! We make it super easy.
We host quarterly hackathons where you can make contributions, win prizes, and network with other contributors. Students encouraged!
Become a contributor
Are you a student looking to gain experience? Want to develop your skills wthin a support network? Check our our code contributor program to get started!
DevOps in Education
DevOps + Education: Are you interested in learning more about how the two relate? We are too! You've come to the right place!
There are so many different ways DevOps can be used in education. We’ve been taking note of a few of the really great ways we see DevOps entering both the higher education classroom as well as K-12 and less formal settings such as clubs and boot camps!