GitLab exists today in large part thanks to the work of hundreds of thousands of open source contributors around the world. To give back to this community, we want to help their teams be more efficient, secure, and productive by allowing them to use GitLab's top capabilities.
- OSI-approved open source license -- All of the code you write through this project must be published under an OSI-approved license
- Non-profit -- Your project must not seek to make a profit. Accepting donations to sustain your efforts is ok
- Publicly visible -- Your GitLab.com project or self-hosted instance and your source code must be publicly visible and publicly available
- All public projects on GitLab.com automatically receive Gold functionality at the project level. Apply to this program if you need Gold functionality at the group level.
- Free GitLab Ultimate and Gold accounts do not include support. However, you can purchase support for 95% off, at $4.95 per user per month.
- The number of seats is the number of different users that will use this license during the next year.
- These licenses need to be renewed annually.
- If you have any additional questions regarding this program, feel free to reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Create your project
- Sign up for a Free account (can be hosted or self-hosted), or enroll in a free trial for our top tiers
- Create your project and set its visibility to Public. If your project is self-hosted, make sure your instance is publicly accessible
- Add your OSI-approved license information to the project’s LICENSE file
Verify program requirements
We ask that you create a Merge Request with information verifying that your project meets our program's requirements.
- Create a gitlab.com account if you do not have one already
- Create a fork of this project
- Edit the oss_projects.yml file to add an entry for your project
- Commit the changes to your fork and submit a new Merge Request against this project. Save the link to this Merge Request as you’ll need it for the next step of the process.
Apply to the program
- Submit the application form on the right side of this page with a link to the Merge Request created in the previous step
- You can expect an initial response from our team within 5 business days. You may be asked to provide further information
Get your licenses
If your application is accepted, we’ll work with you to grant your license. Here’s what to expect.
- Sign a quote. The balance will be zero unless you decide to add on paid support
- Accept the End User License Agreement (EULA) that will be sent to your email
- Receive the license key (for Ultimate) or further instructions (for Gold)
Please send an email to us via email@example.com approximately one month before your license expires. Here's what to include:
- Name of your organization or project
- Number of seats you're renewing. If needed, you can request additional seats
- Any change of ownership to the account. If needed, please let us know at this time
We'll be in touch with you shortly!