A Product Design Roles on GitLab's Marketing team, collaborates closely with Product Managers, Engineers, UX Research, and other Product Designers to create a productive, streamlined, and human experience. Product Designers report to a Product Manager.
The Product Designer (UX) - Marketing (Intermediate) reports to the Sr. Manager, Digital Experience
The Product Designer (UX) - Marketing (Intermediate) is a grade 6.
- Help to define and improve the marketing experience of about.gitlab.com
- Define journeys and design experiences that fit within user flows.
- Create deliverables (wireframes, mockups, prototypes, flows, and so on) to communicate ideas.
- Work with Product Managers and Engineers to iterate on and refine the existing experience.
- Involve UX Researchers when needed, and help them define research initiatives (usability tests, surveys, interviews, and so on).
- Stay informed and share the latest on UI/UX techniques, tools, patterns, accessibility, and best practices.
- Understand responsive design.
- Have knowledge and understanding of design systems theory and practice.
- Nice to have a general knowledge of Git flow (for example, feature branching, merge/pull requests, and pipelines).
- Product knowledge: Understand the technology and features of GitLab.
- Research: Conduct solution validation with guidance of your Product Manager and incorporate insights into design decisions to fulfill user and business needs.
- Deliverables: Create deliverables for our Digital Experience team (for example: competitive analyses, user flows, low fidelity wireframes, high fidelity mockups, prototypes, etc.) that solve real user problems through the user experience.
- Communication: Communicate the results of UX activities with the Digital Experience team, cross-functional partners, and other interested GitLab team-members using clear language that simplifies complexity.
- Usability: Proactively identify both small and large usability issues with the Marketing site.
- Iteration: Practice design iteration and take part in our 2 week sprint cadence by breaking down the designs to fit release cadence, reviewing and approving merge requests (visual quality assurance).
- Design system: Keep design components available and up to date in prototyping tools, ensuring that reusable components fit visually and functionally together as well as meeting accessibility requirements. Actively contribute to the Slippers Design System and document usage.
- Design reviews: Participate in Design Reviews, giving and receiving feedback in an appropriate way.
- UX debt: Understand UX debt and make recommendations for its resolution with the help from a Sr. Product Designer or your Product Manager.
Senior Product Designer (UX) - Marketing
The Senior Product Designer (UX) - Marketing reports to the Sr. Manager, Digital Experience
Senior Product Designer (UX) - Marketing Job Grade
The Senior Product Designer is a grade 7.
Senior Product Designer (UX) - Marketing Responsibilities
- Extends that of the Product Designer (UX) - Marketing responsibilities
- Product knowledge: Understand GitLab's Marketing vison and goals as well as proactively learn other product areas.
- Research: Independently conduct solution validation with minimal guidance from your Product Manager and incorporate insights into design decisions to fulfill user and business needs.
- Deliverables: Create deliverables for our Digital Experience team (for example: competitive analyses, low fidelity wireframes, high fidelity mockups, prototypes, journey maps, storyboards, personas, design vision, strategic planning, etc.) that help define the vision and execution of solving real user problems through the user experience.
- Communication: Communicate the results of UX activities with a strong point of view within our Digital Experience team, cross-functional partners, and other interested GitLab team-members using clear language that simplifies complexity.
- Usability: Proactively identify both small and large usability issues within GitLab's Marketing experience, and help influence your Product Manager and Technical Product Owner to prioritize them.
- Iteration: Lead and coach iteration of design work. Take part in the bi-weekly sprint cycle by breaking down the designs to fit release cadence, reviewing and approving merge requests submitted by developers.
- Design reviews: Participate in Design Reviews, and model best practices for giving and receiving feedback
- UX debt: Identify and influence the prioritization of UX debt.
- Design system: Actively contribute to the Slipper Design System, help determine whether components are single-use or multi-use, and provide recommendations to designers regarding new component requests.
- Public presence: Help promote GitLab publicly by writing blog articles, giving talks, or responding on social media, where appropriate.
- Recruiting: Interview potential UX candidates.
- Cross-stage collaboration: Support your Product Manager and Technical Product Owner in identifying dependencies and advocating for cross collaboration when needed.
- Mentoring: Mentor other members of the Digital Experience team, both inside and outside of Marketing.
Senior Product Designer (UX) - Marketing Requirments
The next step in the Product Design (UX) - Marketing job family is not yet defined at GitLab.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, you can find their job title on our team page.
- Select candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our Global Recruiters.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute interview with our Senior Manager, Digital Experience.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute interview with a Fullstack Engineer and a Frontend Engineer on the Digital Experience team.
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute interview with the Senior Director, Inbound Marketing.
- Finally, candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute follow up interview with the Senior Manager, Digital Experience.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
To find out more about the compensation for this role, please
apply to a role
first. Once selected for a screening call, you'll be able to sign up here to view our
Be sure to use the same email address for both.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is
a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed.
We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs
and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can
contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative
work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom,
efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging,
boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality,
work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our
primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of
life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 Reasons to Work for GitLab:
- Mission: Everyone can contribute
- Results: Fast growth, ambitious vision
- Flexible Work Hours: Plan your day so you are there for other people & have time for personal interests
- Transparency: Over 2,000 webpages in GitLab handbook, GitLab Unfiltered YouTube channel
- Iteration: Empower people to be effective & have an impact, Merge Request rate, We dogfood our own product, Directly responsible individuals
- Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging: A focus on gender parity,
Team Member Resource Groups, other initiatives
- Collaboration: Kindness, saying thanks, intentionally organize informal communication, no ego
- Total Rewards: Competitive market rates for compensation, Equity compensation, global benefits (inclusive of office equipment)
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible workday, Friends and Family days
- Remote Done Right: One of the world's largest all-remote companies, prolific inventor of remote best practices
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks
like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.